July News and Status

Hello NJTC Family,

Yes…..it’s me again!

Who would have thought at the beginning of the year we would become so familiar with the words masks, virus, quarantine, incubation, cough, social, distancing, Fauci, spike, handwashing, fever, pandemic, isolation, curve, sanitizer, antibodies, and the measurement of six feet…..but here we are.  Until NJTC tennis gets a little closer to normal we won’t be publishing monthly Magazines. Instead you’ll just receive email blasts from me with pertinent information.

At this time I need to pass on a recent decision regarding Keystone. After much discussion we find it necessary to cancel this years annual mountain getaway weekend.  We did look at modifying the trip by adding precautions for everyones health and safety.  However, in the end the trip was going to look too different from what we have come to know and love. This event is just as much about socializing as it is tennis. What made it harder to plan is the fact that operations at the Keystone Resort are in a constant state of flux given the ever changing landscape of COVID-19.  Cancelling the trip this year seems like the safest most responsible move to ensure everyones well being.  We’ll make it twice as fun next year!!!

Our sights are now set on Tennis Palooza 2020, September 25 – 27. We have pushed the decision whether or not to hold this event back another month.  We will continue to monitor State and City health guidelines, and will look for what restrictions the ATC has in place at that time.  Proactively we are discussing how we can modify this tournament so that it can take place in a safe environment.  More to follow as we see what happens with the spread of COVID through the summer.

In the meantime, I hope that everyone playing in our first ever Intra Club League is having a great time!!!  Personally, having Home matches every week is fine by me!  I also think it’s pretty cool that all Intra Club teams have decided to participate in the Mini Tourney we set up for the last two weeks of play. It’s not Districts…..but it keeps our competitive juices flowing 🙂

I understand USTA will most likely run a Season 2 after Season 1 concludes in mid August. Season 2 would include Twilight, ITA Mixed, 65+(?) and Summer Daytime.  I have to assume COUSTA will be monitoring the situation to ensure safe play can continue from Mid August into September.  If something should preclude USTA from running a Season 2, know that we can run another Intra Club session now that we have the hang of it!

Also, if you are playing 18+ Intra Club but have already paid for USTA 18+, remember you can move those USTA fee’s to another league or ask for a refund by the deadline of August 20th.

That’s the state of the union for now. Know that my email inbox is always open should you have questions or comments. And remember…….

Do what you can to stay active while doing what you must to stay safe.

Jen Stiebeling

PS    We have a NJTC member who is looking to sell their Fall PCT time on Monday mornings, 9-11am. Let me know if you are interested.

June Status

Time again for a NJTC update

Hello Everyone,

Colorado USTA continues to analyze the situation surrounding COVID-19 including which facilities are open for league play, and to what degree. We should be hearing news from them soon.

As we wait for a USTA update we are running or our Intra Club league which starts this Sunday.  If you were looking for a team but have not been contacted by a captain it means that teams are currently full. We are keeping your requests, however, in case space does become available.

Our goal with this league is to get as many people playing as possible, therefore we aren’t being as restrictive as USTA, but I would ask that everyone make their best effort to play on the night or day they are scheduled.  Otherwise we would have structured this similar to T-2 or a Flex league.  If you do need to reschedule however:

  • Please call the ATC to cancel the court you were scheduled on.
  • When booking your new court remember to mention you are rescheduling an Intra Club match so you won’t be asked to pay for the court.
  • If you chose to reschedule on an indoor court, that will cost you $20 per hour at the time of reservation. Cancelation of indoor courts require at least 24 hours notice for a refund or credit.

The “Fine Print” regarding our in house league includes:

  • With COVID-19 in mind everyone is playing at their own risk, with some people choosing to be more cautious. If a partner or opponent desires to play with their own can of balls (per USTA recommendation) please accommodate them. Players who wish to play with their own can, please bring your own and initial two balls.
  • HOME teams are responsible for balls for the rest of the group and will report scores. Names of players are not required, just team names and level of play.
  • At this time no socializing is allowed after matches. No Food No Beverage.

If USTA does not start their leagues, or if they do and there is time left, we might consider organizing Intra Club play for some of the Leagues USTA had to cancel.  If it comes to that we’ll probably send out a Survey to see who is interested which will determine if the effort is worthwhile.

As always, we’ll keep you posted regarding ongoing developments. And remember…

Do want you can to stay active while doing what you must to stay safe 🙂


Jen Stiebeling